I love soup, for SO many different reasons. It’s nutrient dense, easy on the digestion, and super customizeable. In reality, I mostly love it because it’s a meal in a bowl. Which is great for me because I prefer to be super lazy. AND I really love this Sausage and Pepper Soup because it’s REALLY filling! (Who has time for unfilling soup??)
When I create a soup, it’s usually out of necessity- I have a bunch of food that’s going to go bad and soup is the best way to use a bunch of ingredients. This time, I had a bunch of peppers and spinach that were about to go bad. A quick peek at everything else I had in the fridge and here we are!
Sausage and Pepper Soup
Slightly smokey and a deep flavor. Paleo, Keto, and Whole30 Friendly!
- 1 med onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (smashed and chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (chopped)
- 2 tbs cooking oil (coconut, olive, rendered bacon fat, etc)
- 1 lb Italian sausage links (sliced)
- 1 med red pepper (sliced)
- 1 med yellow pepper (sliced)
- 1/2 med green pepper (sliced)
- 28 oz diced tomates
- 4 cups homemade stock (chicken or beef, preferably)
- 1 TBS dried basil
- 1/2 TBS TBS dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach
- In a Dutch over or large soup pot, heat oil over med-high heat.
- Add onions, garlic, and celery. Cook until onions and celery are slightly transparent, approx 5 minutes.
- Add Italian sausage and cook until slightly brown.
- Add peppers and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes (for optimal taste- if you’re short on time you can simmer for 10-15 minutes).
- Add spinach and cook for two minutes. Serve hot!
As with most soups, this tastes great the next day! So it’s perfect for leftovers!
Because it’s so flavorful, it’s ok to omit seasonings based on what’s in your pantry! It’ll still be great!
And HEY- are you looking for more accountability, community, and silliness in your day?! I’d love to have you join the Ignite. Nouirsh. Thrive. Facebook group! It’s the next best thing to enrolling in one of my coaching programs!