In the years before I turned Paleo, the Olive Garden was one of my favorite restaurants.
Breadsticks for days?
I’ll race ya to the table.
Zuppa Toscana by the bucket full?
Where do I sign up???
(Looking back, it’s no wonder why my health was an absolute WRECK when I was only 26!)
Since adopting a low carb, Paleo lifestyle, I had to break up with the Olive Garden. Because while I believe that a lot of foods can be modified to fit into this lifestyle, breadsticks and pasta alternatives just don’t hold a candle. LUCKILY, Zuppa Toscana can totally be modified to not only be tasty but is a nutrient powerhouse as well.
Let’s look at some of the nutrient-dense ingredients in our Paleo version:
- Coconut milk
- Sweet potato
So we can toooootally have our soup and eat it too!
Paleo Zuppa Toscana
A nutrient-dense soup recipe for Zuppa Toscana that has been modified to fit the Paleo lifestyle.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Paleo
- 1 TBSP Bacon Fat
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- 6 pieces bacon
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 bunch Kale, de-stemmed
- 1 TBSP crushed red peppers (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp black pepper
- In a soup pot, cook the 6 pieces of bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon and chop into small pieces. Removed all but 1 TBS of bacon fat from the pot.
- Add one chopped onion to the pot and sauté until translucent.
- Add 2 cloves of minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add 1 lb of Italian sausage. Brown while working into crumbles.
- Add 1 peeled and chopped sweet potato, 1 tsp salt, and ¾ tsp pepper. Cook for 10 minutes until the sweet potato just starts to soften.
- Add chopped bacon, 4 cups of beef broth, and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Stir in 1 can of coconut milk, 1 bunch of de-stemmed Kale, and 1 TBSP crushed red peppers.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 217
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 574.9
- Fat: 13.7
- Saturated Fat: 9.5
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 8.6
- Fiber: 1.5
- Protein: 16.5
- Cholesterol: 39.3
Keywords: Paleo, Soup, Zuppa Toscana
Share on Pinterest!