To be honest, the thought of hot lettuce used to have me like BLEEECH.
But a year or so ago, I went to a quaint little restaurant with my dad and he recommended we order the Grilled Romaine Salad. Hmmmmm, OK Dad.
I will tell you that I spent a good chunk of my teenage life doubting my father, as most forward charging children do. But as per usual, my dad was right.
The trick is to the SEAR the lettuce on one side for mere seconds to get the char. It’s not left alone to get wilty and turn to mush. BLEEECH.
The light sear ever so slightly changes the texture to one of deliciousness. Feta cheese (or not if you’re Paleo-ing) and a Balsamic-Bacon-Tomato dressing makes this worthy of a googly heart eyed emoji.
Enjoy and let me know what you think in the comments!Print
Grilled Romaine Salad with Feta and Balsamic-Bacon-Tomato Dressing
The light sear ever so slightly changes the texture of the lettuce to one of deliciousness. Feta cheese (or not if you’re Paleo-ing) and a Balsamic-Bacon-Tomato dressing makes this worthy of a googly heart eyed emoji.
- Prep Time: :10
- Cook Time: :05
- Total Time: 42 minute
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Head of Romaine Lettuce, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 Tablespoons Avocado Oil, Separated
- Pinch of Pink Sea Salt
- 1/2 Small Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Pieces Bacon, Finely Copped
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup or 6 Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoon Feta Cheese
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Cook the onion and bacon over medium high heat until the bacon is crispy.
- Add Balsamic vinegar and cherry tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons Avocado Oil and remove from heat.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of Avocado Oil over the cut side of the lettuce and sprinkle with pink sea salt.
- Place on hot grill or flat top until seared. This typically takes only 30-60 seconds.
- To plate, place the romaine seared side up, drizzle with dressing and sprinkle the feta cheese and cracked pepper.
If you make this, tell me in the comments! Or hop over to my Facebook group and show me the picture!
Kelsey Albers, NTP