I am frequently appalled by the ingredients in store bought pizza sauces. You’d think this is one of those foods that SHOULD be perfectly simple to make and enjoy, but the labels divulge something else.
A few examples:
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Soybean Oil
- Canola Oil
- Flavorings (Natural or Otherwise)
- Modified Corn Starch
- Cheese (which is a problem if someone is sensitive to dairy and may not think to check the ingredients for this)
- Modified Cheese Product
- Carotenal (food coloring)
- Calcium Chloride and Annatto (food coloring)
And that’s just the top 10. This is where I start to turn into a rabid dog about food labeling and consumer education. One of the offending companies has the nerve to label their sauce as Gluten Free and 100% Natural!
(Side Note: Labeling a food as 100% Natural means next to nothing. Check the ingredients.)
DIY Pizza Sauce
Luckily making your own pizza sauce is almost too easy. I’ll make a gluten free pizza crust or put it over some veggies with fresh mozzarella.Print
Crazy Simple Pizza Sauce (Sugar, Oil Free)
Easy Pizza Sauce that can be made in minutes or allowed to simmer for longer. It takes great and is free fro questionable ingredients!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 25
- 15 oz can Organic Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Homemade Broth (optional)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and cook over medium high heat.
- Cook until light boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add to pizza crust or vegetables and enjoy!
- If you don’t have homemade broth, it’s ok to skip (just watch to be sure your sauce doesn’t burn). I add it for flavor and increased nutritional content. Most store bought stocks are just not the same.
- You can let this cook for longer and it will be even tastier.